A Brief History Of
The LUNA COLLEGES began as the Luna Memorial Institute, an
academic high school founded in1926 in Cabanatuan, NuevaEcija, by Hon.
Jose P Melencilo, former Resident Commissioner to Washington, D.C. It
was named after Gen. Antonio Luna, a national hero who was assassinated
in the place. A few years later, the controlling interests were bought
by prominent people of San Jose, Nueva Ecija and it was moved to this
latter town. The late Judge and Mrs. Felix L. Mamenta, Don
Francisco V. Arzadon, Don Catalino M. Gan and Don Domingo L. Rivera
bought it in in 1934 and transferred it to Tayug, Pangasinan.
In February, 1945, soon after the liberation of Tayug from the Japanese
by the Americans, the school reopened to offer completion courses to its
1941 students. Even with the shelling of Japanese positions and nightly
blackouts, classes went on, students and teachers alike, bent on making
up for the years lost during the Japanese occupation. Classrooms were
under battered houses, under the trees or in tents using whatever
equipment and books the school was able to save during the war.
In answer to a felt need and demand for higher education of the people
in these parts, the Luna Memorial institute was reorganized into the
Luna Junior College in November 1945. The courses were expanded to
include two-years courses Normal. Liberal Arts and Commerce and
Vocational Courses in dressmaking, embroidery, typewriting and
stenography. Eventually baccalaureate courses were offered and Graduate
School in Education opened July 1, 1963. it became the LUNA COLLEGES in
Side by side with the academic went material expansion. The rented
building used before the war in the town proper being damaged during the
liberation, the school moved to its present four-hectare site.
The school celebrated its Golden Anniversary in March, 1984 with many
honorable and distinguished Alumni members present.
The LUNA COLLEGES aims to produce Christian citizens who can fit
themselves into the life of their country and the world. It seeks to
accomplish this purpose (1) by giving its students a broad background of
culture to make them appreciative not only of their own culture but also
of other peoples, (2) by imparting integrity of character and lofty
idealism that they may value and treasure the best thoughts and deeds of
man, and (3) by preparing student for some life vocations. Further, the
school encourages students to practice national discipline.
The Luna Colleges is on a sprawling four hectare campus. While only a
stone’s throw from the town plaza, the campus is away from the bustle
and dust of the busy streets.
The luxuriant trees dotting the campus here and there, afford shady and
delightful looks where students may spend in idyllic peace, hours of
leisure or for study and mental concentration. The cooling effect of the
trees to the campus is enhanced by a meandering brook cutting northward
to the central part. the
brook and the bridges
across it add picturesque ness to the site. Hence, on the campus, one
finds not only facilities for profitable and meditative study, but also
for health and the satisfaction of the aesthetic.
and spacious Sunken Garden with concrete benches around it and a stage
on the west side is used during big affairs of the school particularly
on Fellowship Day, Foundation Day and Commencement Exercises. An
Elevated Quadrangle planted with flowering plants and surrounded by
marmolized concrete benches faces the main building.
JUDGE FELIX L. MAMENTA, SR. · Mrs. MARCELIANA M. MAMENTA · Don FRANCISCO V. ARZADON · Don CATALINO M. GAN · and Don DOMINGO L. RIVERA
Back to Luna Colleges Back to Reunion Page